Monday, January 22, 2018

Maggie Hope WWII Spy Series

Last month while at our local library perusing the new books, the title The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal caught my attention. As I looked through it, I noted it was the most recent book in the Maggie Hope series and seemed to recall that I had read at least one of the books in the series previously. As I dislke hopping into a series part way through, I proceeded to check out every copy of this series available in the library. I was delighted to find that the copies not available in print were available as ebooks for check out as well. As this was just before Christmas, I anticipated plenty of time to read through this series.

As I revisited the first book in the series, Mr. Churchill's Secretary, I quickly found myself caught up in the adventures of American raised but British born main character Maggie Hope who finds herself in London during World War II. Life finds her working at #10 Downing Street and soon she is in the midst of a variety of intriguing situations. As the series continues, Maggie and her friends find themselves interacting with numerous famous individuals and participating in spy and espionage activities. Over the course of the novels, Maggie interacts with not only the Prime Minister but also the royal family, the President and First Lady, and famous generals. I was most disappointed to reach the end of The Paris Spy only to be presented with a huge cliff-hanger and discover the next book The Prisoner in the Castle doesn't come out until August. I'm waiting on pins and needles to find out what happens!

I highly recommend this excellent and award winning series. It is an adult series with some minor adult language (it is set in war time) and veiled references to the characters sexual activity. Even so, I do not hesitate to encourage my teenage daughter to read these books.

No comments: