Thursday, December 26, 2019

Best of 2019

Over the last year, I have read numerous books and shared about many of them year on my blog with you. Given that I've read so many, it seems a "best of" list is in order. However, as I look back over my year, I found this process to be more difficult than I expected. Most of the books I read are enjoyable but not necessarily memorable. For this list, I've tried to emphasize those that are memorable and that I would most highly recommend, would read again, or have purchased a copy.

Best Non-Fiction: This category has a tie but both books are about the same topic. The End of Hunger and I Was Hungry which I reviewed for Englewood Review of Books. I would be remiss not to also mention Kent Annan's You Welcomed Me.

Best Memoir: While not quite a memoir, it is true and about her own experiences and Separated by the Border is by no doubt one of the best books I read this year.

Best Historical Non-Fiction: Madame Fourcade's Secret War is highly recommended to anyone who enjoys World War II and for men and women.

Best Diverse Books: It was hard to come up with a title for this category, but I wanted to spotlight three books life-changing books I read from Plough Publishing. Each of these books are true and are based on events that you will recall reading about in the news. They are The 21: A Journey into the Land of the Coptic Martyrs, From Red Earth, and Beneath the Tamarind Tree. Each of these books taught me to be more faithful in my trust in God and more forgiving to others.

Best Bible Study/Devotional: I enjoyed reading through several Bible studies/devotional works this year. Core52 by Mark Moore is at the top of my list because it is geared towards men and women and could be easily used for a whole church study.

Best Fiction with a Point: Sharon Garlough Brown's books Shades of Light and Remember Me are the tops in this category without a doubt.

Best Historical Fiction: I read several World War II Books this year but hands-down the best was Resistance Women. However, a close runner-up was Cilka's Journey which focuses on post World War II Russian gulags.

Best YA: I didn't read a whole lot of YA this year, but the two I read by Melanie Dickerson continue to be my favorites. The Warrior Maiden and The Piper's Pursuit will indulge your YA reading needs or would be great books for your YA to enjoy.

While I hesitate to give a "best over all," if there is one book to read, I highly recommend I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening) particularly as we move into the election year cycle. May 2020 bring you lots of good reading!

No comments: