Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Newest Maggie Hope Mystery!

I have previously read and enjoyed books in the Maggie Hope Mystery Series, so when the newest release in the series The King's Justice by Susan Elia MacNeal became available I knew I wanted to read it right away and am glad I did.

The King's Justice find Maggie in London where a previous criminal whom she had helped to capture has just been sentenced to death. Maggie has officially stepped away from her previous spy roles and is instead employed to detonate bombs in London. Doing so, she becomes acquainted with a number of individuals called "Britalians" who are British citizens of Italian descent and a number of individuals who are conscientious objectors. I had not previously realized that the Britalians were treated poorly and many put in "camps" similar to how the British treated Germans who were living in Great Britian during the War and how the U.S. treated Japanese and German Americans. While not working as a spy, Maggie still had many contacts in the spy and police world and becomes pulled into a new investigation involving a new serial killer. MacNeal does a marvelous job of drawing several different threads together into one coherent story and drawing in background information from the previous books in the series. She also leaves a cliffhanger so that you know book 10 is coming!

While previous books in the series benefited from being read in order, but if you hopped it you could follow along, I would not recommend reading The King's Justice if you have not read the other books. There are many allusions and references to previous experiences Maggie had and not being familiar with those would diminish enjoyment of this book. I even found that enough time had passed since reading the previous books that a refresher of the most recent books would have been helpful. I would encourage individuals who have read previous Maggie Hope books to read this one as soon as possible. If you have not you become acquainted with Maggie Hope, I hope you will read these exciting and well-written spy novels as soon as possible.

I received a complementary copy of The King's Justice from NetGalley. I was not required to provide a positive option and all opinions are my own.

No comments: