Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Replace Digital Distraction with Spiritual Formation

Reconnect: Spiritual Restoration from Digital DistractionReconnect: Spiritual Restoration from Digital Distraction by Ed Cyzewski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As I was reading this book at a time when social media was going bonkers, Reconnect: Spiritual Restoration from Digital Distraction was an excellent, thought-provoking book. Cyzewski begins the book by emphasizing the many ways in which social media and technology is addicting and how much it has come to control our lives by digital formation. This section is very well-researched and even includes some excellent insights on the importance of media literacy. Reading this section was quite convicting.

Cyzewski does not leave the reader here to dwell on these issues but emphasizes the need to curtail our digital obsessions so that we can spend time in spiritual formation and relationship building. Throughout Reconnect, Cyzewski frequently reference Thomas Merton's writings. Each chapter includes several questions to help readers consider the material and make practical applications of the information.

During and since reading this book, while I have not cut off my social media use, I have been more conscious of it. I'm making a conscious effort to spend time in silence or prayer instead of glued to my feed. I look forward to spending more time disconnected from technology and reconnecting with others.

I received a complementary copy from Herald Press via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments: