Thursday, August 6, 2020

A Life of Alexander Campbell

A Life of Alexander CampbellA Life of Alexander Campbell by Douglas A. Foster
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had not read or studied the life of Alexander Campbell although I had some familiarity due to my involvement in the Stone-Campbell Movement and specifically my place of my employment. A full review is being published in a journal but here are a few impressions.

While reading the book, I wish I had kept a notebook to jot down all of the things I wanted to look up or follow-up for later reading or research. I thoroughly enjoyed how Foster set the stage historically to introduce Campbell and his ideas. While focused on the Stone-Cammpbell movement, there is quite a bit about reforms in Presbyterian and Baptist churches during this time period as well due to the frequent debates. From the book, I have the impression that while doing a great deal of good work that can be lauded, Campbell was a hot-head and a genius who thought highly of himself.

No comments: