Monday, January 4, 2021

Melanie Dickerson is back with a brand new series entitled "The Dericott Tales" which is set in medieval England. The Court of Swans is the first book to feature the Dericott family which includes 7 boys and 1 girl along with the required wicked stepmother and dashing soldier. Knowing that Dickerson specializes in reimaginging fairy tales, I read trying to discern what fairy tale was the basis of this book without success. I later learned the underyling story is Hans Christian Anderson's "The Wild Swans," an unfamiliar story to me. Being unfamiliar with this story was helpful in that I could not foresee what was going to happen and was just able to enjoy the story.

Dickerson's characters continue to rely on God, pray, and recall scripture teaching as appropriate for individuals of their station and time period, but there is not an explicit "how to become a Christian" section. I find this clean but not overly religious approach opens up the series to a much larger audience. I did find The Court of Swans a bit edgier than some of the previous books I have read by Dickerson. Specifically, the main character Delia, has an unseemly encounter with a gentleman which could be upsetting to younger readers although it turns out fine. For this reason, I recommend this book for early high school readers or for a read-together. Of couse, Dickerson's books while aimed for a YA audience are equally enjoyable for adults.

I received a complementary copy of The Court of Swans from Thomas Nelson via NetGalley.

No comments: