Saturday, April 27, 2019

Not Your Typical Governess

The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)The Governess of Penwythe Hall by Sarah E. Ladd
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Governess of Penwythe Hall caught my eye as I had read several other books by author Sarah Ladd which I had enjoyed greatly. I was also seeking something a little more light-hearted and fun to read. This book fit both categories.

The Governess of Penwythe Hall is your basic Christian Regency romance. This book stands out because the governess is not your typically naive, innocent young lady who is trying to earn a living. Instead, the governess is widowed and fleeing a secret from her past. This secret provides a slight mystery element to the book. Ladd does a nice job of providing some clues but yet not giving away the secret until near the end. There are several twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. Beyond the suspenseful, mystery aspect, The Governess of Penwythe Hall follows the basic plot readers of this genre will recognize. As this book does feature a governess, I enjoyed that the characters of the children in the book were somewhat developed and played a role in the story instead of being invisible. I look forward to additional volumes in this series.

I received a complementary copy of this book via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review.

View all my reviews

No comments: