Friday, July 17, 2020

Historical Immigrant Saga

The initial description of The Nesting Dolls by Alina Adams grabbed my attention. Spanning the
life story of four generations of women in a Jewish immigrant family from the USSR, this story sounded exactly like something I would enjoy.

Adams covers a vast sweep of history ranging from prior to World War II to modern day time. She also pulls back the curtains on life in the USSR. The stories of neighbors turning each other in for alleged offenses and how your life was dictated by the government is chilling. Beyond the glimpse into life under Communism, Adams shows the impact of family expectations and how trauma and experiences of previous generations impact future generations. In particular, each woman and man made choices based on what was best for their family rather than what was their heart's desire. While I found the story interesting and enjoyable, The Nesting Dolls did not grab me in as I was anticipating.

I received a complementary copy of The Nesting Dolls from Harper Collins via NetGalley.

No comments: