Saturday, July 25, 2020

Way Up Is Down

The title The Way Up Is Down: Becoming Yourself by Forgetting Yourself caught my attention on Twitter and sounded interesting. In 10 chapters, author Marlena Graves digs into the Bible and spirituality and particularly focuses on kenosis or voluntary self-emptying. She returns to this word and concept throughout the book and spends a most of the first chapter unpacking its meaning.

While reading this book, I enjoyed Graves' honesty and openness. She does not hesitate to share stories from her own life. I felt almost like I was reading someone's journal as you are allowed to experience raw anger and grief alongside the author as well as joy. However, she quickly moves to share biblical and spiritual truths that arose from those moments. Graves also pulls in examples from other lives to illustrate her points. I found this is not a book to read quickly. It needs to be savored and thought about in order to truly grasp and apply the concepts presented. Reading the book in community with others would provide opportunity to discuss and apply these truths.

I received a complementary copy from InterVarsity Press via NetGalley. All opinions are my own and I am not required to provide a positive review.

No comments: